Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
This is my Nonna/Italian grand mothers recipe!!! I make my own broth & this soup is so wonderful I get people asking me to make it all the time! It makes quite a large pot of soup also so you'll need a large soup pot!! Enjoy
- 4 large chicken breasts (with bone & skin)
- 8 cups water
- 8 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 celery, sticks whole for flavor discard after broth is made
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup parsley flakes
- 1⁄2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 cup inceni di peppi pasta (teeny tiny pasta that are round)
ADD TO BROTH AFTER YOU MAKE IT
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- chopped spinach, 2 handfuls
- To make broth boil water, add chicken, whole celery sticks, bouillon & boil for 45 minutes take out chicken & let cool, drain the broth into another pan through a strainer. This is your homemade broth, throw away celery & take of the skin of chicken and pull of the meat from the bone & set to the side until ready to add back to broth.
- Mix ground beef or g. turkey, egg, parsley, garlic & bread crumbs. Now take a small melon baller to make the same size meatballs every time & scoop put & roll into balls & pan fry until browned on the outside. Set them aside & drain on paper towels after browned until ready to add to broth.
- In a small pot boil water with salt & add pasta cook as directed on the box, probably 8 mins drain through strainer.
- Chop 2 cups each of celery & carrots.
- Now add all ingredients back into broth -- celery, carrots, shredded chicken, lil meatballs & bring to boil then simmer for 25 minutes.
- at the end you'll prob add a few more cups of water to the broth & add to handfuls of chopped spinach.
- I ALWAYS serve with fresh parmesan that melts in the broth & is delish!
- You can always add some fresh basil when serving also! I usually have fresh bread with evoo & italian herbs to dip bread in & this is a wonderful meal!