Recipe by Danny Beason
Prepared by Nashville's "Caterer to the Stars" Laure Jabus, YUM! Catering
Top Review by Boomette
Since I didn't have key lime, I used 5 tbs each lime juice and lemon juice. I had to bake it longer, maybe 15 more minutes. Cause the filling was not cooked through. The taste is wonderful. With or without the whipped cream topping. Thanks Danny :) Made for Bargain Basement tag game
Ingredients for crust
- 1 1⁄2 cups cinnamon graham cracker crumbs (or more if you like a thicker crust)
- 1⁄3 cup melted unsalted butter
Ingredients for the filling
- 3 egg yolks (beaten for about 5 minutes until lemony in color and frothy)
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 10 tablespoons fresh key lime juice (OR 5 TBS each regular lime juice and fresh lemon juice)
- 2 teaspoons grated lime zest, preferably key limes
Ingredients for whipped cream topping
- 1 cup heavy cream (whipping)
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lime zest, preferably from key lime
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare the crust: Combine the graham cracker crumbs and butter in a mixing bowl and mix together for a crumbly crust.
- Press the mixture into an 8-inch pie pan.
- Bake the crust for 5 minutes.
- Remove the crust from the oven, but leave the oven on.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling.
- Combine the egg yolks and sweetened condensed milk in a mixing bowl and beat with a mixer at high speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Gradually beat in the lime juice and zest.
- Pour the mixture into the crust.
- Bake the pie for 8 minutes, or until the filling is set and an inserted skewer comes out clean and hot to the touch.
- Remove the pie from the oven.
- Set the pie on a rack to cool to room temperature.
- Refrigerate the pie, uncovered, for at least four hours before serving.
- When ready to serve, make the whipped topping.
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and beat on high until whipped cream stands in peaks.
- Place on top of pie and serve!