Kelly's Rich and Creamy Key Lime Pie
photo by Wildflour
- Ready In:
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 (14 ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup key lime juice, fresh or bottled
- 1 (9 ounce) keebler graham cracker crust, 10-inch size
- sweetened whipped cream or Cool Whip
- kiwi, slices (to garnish, optional) (optional) or fresh strawberries (to garnish) (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325º.
- In medium bowl, gently whisk eggs.
- Slowly whisk in sweetened condensed milk.
- Slowly whisk in key lime juice.
- *Do not over mix, this will create bubbles. Just stir gently til all ingredients are mixed together well.
- Pop into oven for 40-45 minutes. *My oven takes 44 minutes exactly.
- The edge of pie will just START to slightly poof up and the edge of pie will also be very SLIGHTLY a pale golden brown. Just very lightly browned. The pie also will no longer jiggle.
- Let cool. Pie will set up perfectly as it cools.
- Refrigerate at least 4-6 hours or overnight.
- Pie gets even better the next day! :).
- Serve with whipped cream topping.
- Garnish with slices of key limes, kiwi and/or fanned strawberries if desired.
- VERY rich and creamy!
- ***You can save the egg whites and make a meringue top if preffered. But we like the cool, smooth creaminess of sweetened whipped cream much better than meringue. ;).
- The only other thing I do, is I do add 2 drops green food coloring to the pie for a bit of green color. But this is totally up to you!
- *If preferred, you can also bake this pie in a 9" deep dish pastry crust.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This recipe is so easy and yet so tasty! I've started making it in mini graham wafer pie-crusts - 12 cups just barely fit the filling, if you fill them right up. It takes about 25 min to bake. My husband loves them, because I freeze them, and he can pull one out whenever he wants a treat...portion control!
Fabulous recipe!! I was shooting to beat Bonefish Grill's key lime pie, and I think this did it! I added in the zest of 2 limes, used regular lime juice, and made my own crust (I just don't do pre-bought graham cracker crusts) using ginger snaps and chopped pecans!! SO good - this is definitely my new Key Lime Pie recipe!!
see 38 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hello! Former caterer and restaurant owner taking life slower now and just enjoying photographing my food creations and blogging them! Pop on over to my blog to see over 800 of my recipes at Wildflour's Cottage Kitchen @ wildflourskitchen.com !