Joe's Stone Crab Key Lime Pie
- Ready In:
- 1hr 8mins
Graham Cracker Crust
- 1⁄3 lb graham cracker (or 1 cup plus 2 1/2 Tablespoons graham cracker crumbs)
- 5 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated key lime zest
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2⁄3 cup freshly squeezed key lime juice
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, chilled
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
For the crust:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter a 9-inch pie plate.
- Break up graham crackers, place in processor and process to crumbs (if you don't have a processor, place crackers in large plastic bag, seal, and crush using a rolling pin).
- Add melted butter& sugar and pulse until combined.
- Press mixture into bottom and up sides of pan, forming a neat border around th edges.
- Bake until crust is set and golden, about 8 minutes.
- Set aside on wire rack; leave oven on.
For the filling:
- Meanwhile, in an electric mixer with the wire whisk attachment, beat the egg yolks and lime zest at high speed until very fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Gradually add the condensed milk and continue to beat until thick, 3-4 minutes longer.
- Lower the mixer speed and slowly add lime juice, mixing until just combined.
- Pour mixture into crust and bake for 10 minutes, or until filling has just set.
- Cool on wire rack, then refrigerate.
- Freeze for 15-20 minutes before serving.
For the topping:
- Whip the cream and the confectioner's sugar until nearly stiff.
- Cut pie in wedges and serve very cold, topping each wedge with a dollop of whipped cream.
- Garnish with a slice of key lime if desired.
Join The Conversation
This is a fantastic and simple recipe. My family loves it as written. I’ve also made it mixing in 1/4 cup of sour cream before the key lime juice. It adds a touch of creaminess and a bit of a tang without changing the overall flavor. To simplify the crust I use one package of graham crackers (one of the three packages that come in a standard box) and 4 tablespoons of salted butter, plus the 1/3 cup white sugar.
Hands down this is the best key lime pie ever. I had rated Houstons as the best but this is ever tastier. My granddaughter loves it and now the entire family wants me to make it every time I visit or they visit. I now live in Florida and key lime pie is a must. Nothing I've had in a restaurant or purchased even compares. My hat is off to whoever came up with this. Its very simple to make and this recipe has made me "Grandma" a hero!!