Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
When it comes to making white-sauce I am a failure. I came up with this recipe out of a dire need to make a truly scrummy lasagne without using white sauce. It does take some time to make the meat sauce but it is worth it! Serve with garlic bread and salad - yummy! I live in the Netherlands where there is a minced meat mixture called 'half-om-half' which includes pork and beef. I usually use this rather than just beef but have no idea what the proportions of each are in it. If you mix it yourself please post your proportions so I can try it too!
- 350 g minced beef
- 50 -75 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 150 -250 ml red wine
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 454 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 2 fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 125 g sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- lasagna sheet
- 125 ml creme fraiche
- 75 g parmesan cheese, grated
- 50 g cheddar cheese, grated
- black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan.
- Add the chopped shallots and crushed garlic, heat until the shallot is soft.
- Add the minced meat, stir thoroughly.
- Add the milk to the meat, cook the meat until it is brown all over.
- Add all the tomatoes and sugar, stir well.
- Add the herbs.
- Add some of the red wine and worcestershire sauce, stir.
- Add the mushrooms (if using), stir.
- Simmer on a low heat and let the liquid reduce.
- When the liquid has reduced add more worcestershire sauce and red wine. Simmer.
- Repeat this stirring, adding liquid, simmering and reduction process for at least two hours. The meat should end up very glossy and gloopy. It almost looks like it is one large blob rather than minced meat.
- Meanwhile, mix the grated parmesan and pepper into the creme fraiche, leave aside.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- When the meat is ready add a thin layer to cover the bottom of an ovenproof dish. Add lasagne sheets, then a thicker layer of meat. Repeat - I always end up with three layers of lasagne sheets.
- On the final layer of lasgne sheets spread the creme fraiche mixture.
- Cover the creme fraiche mixture with the grated cheddar.
- Bake in the oven until golden (30-45 minutes).