Rich No Boil Lasagne
photo by Redsie
- Ready In:
- 1hr 40mins
- 9 ounces no-boil lasagna noodles (1 box)
- 2 eggs
- 28 -32 ounces nonfat cottage cheese
- 4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese or 1/2 cup romano cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 1 small diced onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (14 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes or (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 3⁄4 cup red wine
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, divided
- 2 teaspoons dried basil, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Lightly beat eggs in a medium bowl. Add cottage cheese, 2 cups of mozzarella, and the parmesan or romano cheese. Add the pepper and 1 tsp each of dried basil and oregano and stir well.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat - swirl to coat skillet. Add sausage and onion, and cook until sausage is no longer pink, then add garlic and cook briefly (one minute or so).
- If there's extra oil in the pan at this point, drain and discard.
- Stir tomato paste into sausage mixture and then slowly stir in red wine and water.
- Process canned tomatoes in food processor until finely chopped. Add with ALL liquid to skillet and stir.
- Add remaining 1 tsp each of oregano and basil and heat just until bubbling, then remove from heat.
- Spread 1 cup of sauce in bottom of pan.
To layer lasagne:
- In 13 x 19 dish layer 1/4 of noodles, 1/3 of cheese mixture, and 1 1/4 c of sauce.
- Repeat layers twice.
- Then top with remaining 1/4 of noodles, remaining sauce, and 2 cups of mozzarella.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake for 55 minutes. Uncover and bake another 5 minutes so top can brown slightly.
- Let stand 15 minutes before cutting.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Very good lasagne, appleydapply! I don't like the flavor *quite* as well as my usual lasagne recipe, but I loved how cheesy it was, plus it was a little easier to put together than mine. So all in all, this is definitely a recipe I can see making again! DH loved it--it just vanished off his plate--and even DS, who is picky about eating foods with tomatoes, seems to like this super-cheesy recipe. I did forget to add the eggs to the cheese mixture, but honestly I don't think it really made a difference. It has a lovely texture, and a rich flavor as promised. Thanks so much for posting this recipe! Made for Holiday Tag Game.
Made this for DH birthday meal and we both loved it! I accidentally put all the basil, oregano, and pepper into the cheese mixture and then realized it was supposed to be divided. I also did not use the oil at beginning so watched and stirred it carefully. I put mine into a 9 X13 pan and wish I had a deeper pan but do not. I am going to freeze the rest in foil for two convenient meals later. Thanks appleydapply for sharing. Made for Everyday is a Holiday!
I made this for dinner last night, but prepared it earlier during the day. I subbed ground beef for the Italian sausage so therefore used no oil, taste preference!! I used diced tomatoes and followed all other ingredients and amounts. After the sauce was bubbling I tasted it and felt is need some salt and more garlic flavor, so added some salt and garlic powder!! I loved that you don't have to boil the noodles first, much easier and less pans to clean!! Thanks for sharing your recipe. Made for stars tag. Pictures didn't turn out, but will try again with the leftovers!!
Very easy to prepare and delicious. I made two changes to meet our taste preferences: I used a ground pork/veal in place of the Italian sausage and I omitted the tomato paste (which is one of the few ingredients I have found that gives me indigestion). I also doubled the garlic. The instructions were so easy to follow - always a major plus! And I was so pleased to have quite a few serves to put in the freezer. A really tasty lasagne, which I'll happily make again. Thank you for sharing this recipe, appleydapply. Made for PRMR.
This lasagna is so good. I made it more healthy by using only 1 egg, low-fat mozzarella cheese. I used lean ground beef instead of sausages so didn't use olive oil. I loved the taste of the sauce with the red wine. Even DH who doesn't like cottage cheese loved it. DS and my MIL also. Thanks Appleydapply. Made for Healthy Choices tag.