The Most Incredibly Awesome Lasagna/Lasagne!
photo by Karen=^..^=
- Ready In:
- 1hr 35mins
- 9 ounces barilla no-boil lasagna noodles
- 8 -12 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup parmesan cheese (freshly grated or shaved)
- 2 (28 ounce) jars francesco rinaldi ultra dolce spaghetti sauce (also known as "Sweet and Tasty Tomato", you will have about 1/2 jar leftover)
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- salt and pepper
Make the Bechamel Sauce:
- Heat the cream and milk in the microwave until it is hot, but not boiling.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the flour and cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture begins to bubble, about 2 minutes.
- Gradually stir in the hot cream and milk. Continue to cook, whisking constantly, until the sauce comes to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, continuing to whisk, 2 to 3 minutes longer, or until fairly thick. Season to taste with nutmeg, salt and pepper. (I use about 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper).
Directions for Assembling the Lasagna:
- In a deep lasagna pan begin layering with thin layer of red sauce.
- Add first layer of pasta (4 sheets) on top.
- Then add layer of red sauce (about 1 cup) and béchamel sauce (about 1 cup). Sprinkle parmesan on top. Then layer a third of the mozzarella.
- Add second layer of pasta (4 sheets) on top.
- Then add another layer of red sauce (about 1 cup) and béchamel sauce (about 1 cup). Sprinkle parmesan on top. Then layer a third of the mozzarella.
- Add third layer of pasta (4 sheets) on top.
- Then add another layer of red sauce (about 1 cup) and remaining béchamel sauce. Sprinkle parmesan on top. Then layer remaining mozzarella.
- Add fourth and final layer of pasta (4 sheets) on top. Then top with red sauce and sprinkle with remaining parmesan.
- Cover top of lasagna dish with cover or foil.
- Place assembled lasagna dish into oven for 50 minutes at 375 degrees. Remove cover and bake for another 5 - 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to settle for about 15-20 minutes before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
EASY and DIFFERENT. If you are tired of the same old cottage cheese/ricotta mixture, TRY THIS. I couldn't believe how quickly it came together! I didn't have any nutmeg, so I omitted it, but the rest was so rich and creamy. Let me say, though, that the leftovers were even better b/c it gave the flavors a chance to blend even more, making it a little less "sweet". Def. will make again! Thank you!
This is exactly as the name states - the most incredibly awesome lasagna! I can't believe I actually made something that tastes like it came out of a 5 star restaurant. The cook time was perfect, as was the number of servings. I could not find Francesco Rinaldi sauce, so I used Prego Traditional, my personal favorite. I also omitted the nutmeg, as I ran out. This couldn't get any better! I will definitely be making this time and time again, and won't hestitate to make it for guests. Thank you SO much Karen! Made for Newest Zaar Tag.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I live in Pa (outside of Philadelphia) and cooking, baking, cross-stitching and reading are my hobbies. <br /> <br />I collect cookbooks and cookie stamps/cutters and have a pretty big collection of both. I am also a fan of all things Amish, so I have quite a collection of things picked up in Reading, Lancaster and surrounding areas here in Pennsylvania. <br /> <br />I have 4 kids, who are the loves of my life and cooking for them and my husband keeps me on my toes! ;) <br /> <br />We bought an ice cream parlor in March 04 and it's been quite an experience! <br /> <br />Note: I love getting feedback on my recipes; all I ask is that you actually *make* them before reviewing them. <br /> <br />Also, if you make changes or substitutions, I'd love to see your suggestions and/or comments, but I'd appreciate no rating at all if it's not made as posted. Too many recipe reviews state margarine subbed for butter (if I list butter, it's REAL butter), different spices, low-fat ingredients, whole wheat flour instead of white, etc. The recipes will not work/taste as intended, so it's really not fair to rate them as such. <br /> <br />I'd also really appreciate it if you refrain from rating a recipe if you overcook or overbake it or it you don't refrigerate or store as listed. <br /> <br />I, of course, will adhere to the above when rating recipes, too! <br /> <br />Thanks and have a great day! <br /> <br />My Rating System: <br /> <br />***** A delicious recipe that was thoroughly enjoyed. It has excellent, detailed directions and is perfect as is. If a dish is especially easy, and I'm on the fence, I will give it 5* for ease even if it's very good instead of great. Something I will definitely make again. <br /> <br />**** Excellent recipe but confusing directions that I will make again in my own less confusing way OR Very good recipe that I'll probably make again if I find the time! <br /> <br />*** Good/OK recipe but probably not something I would make again OR Very Good recipe that doesn't have clear, detailed directions. <br /> <br />** Recipe was edible but not really enjoyed and will not be made again. Work involved not a good trade-off for the end result. <br /> <br />* Not edible and probably an error in the recipe. I feel that I pick recipes with ingredients our family likes, so in my opinion, there's an error somewhere. If there's a chance I made the error, I won't rate the recipe. ;) <br /> <br /><img src=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/lauralie41/swapbanner.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /> <br /> <br /><a href=http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/dd235/MidwestMaven/?action=view&current=cookieswapparticip.jpg target=_blank><img src=http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd235/MidwestMaven/cookieswapparticip.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /></a> <br /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/honey-pot-print-c10069558.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /> <br /> <br /><a href=http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/dd235/MidwestMaven/?action=view&current=09holidayparticipationbanner.jpg target=_blank><img src=http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd235/MidwestMaven/09holidayparticipationbanner.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /></a></p>