This is a delicious apple pie without a bottom crust. It has a brown sugar crumble on top and very good. This pie was devoured by the three of us at one sitting, so I will make two next time. Southern Living
- 6 cooking apples, peeled, cored, and cut into eights
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
FOR THE CRUMBLE
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- vanilla ice cream (optional)
- Combine 6 or 7 large cooking apples with the sugar, water, cinnamon, ground allspice in a large saucepan; bring to a boil.
- (I also add fresh grated nutmeg and a squeeze of lemon juice.)
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 8 to 10 minutes or until apples are almost tender.
- Spoon mixture into a deep-dish 9-inch pie-plate.
- Combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt; cut in butter with a pastry blender or use finger tips until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- (Next time I will use only 1/8 tsp of salt in the crumble.).
- Crumble brown sugar mixture over apples.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes or until top is browned.
- Serve with ice cream, if desired.
- Yield: one 9-inch pie.
This is really, really incredible! This was our Thanksgiving dessert & it came out so good. I used around 7 red delicious apples, Splenda for the sugar & omitted the allspice--just used about 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon. The crust was wonderful. It baked up great & tasted even better. Thanks so much for sharing!
This was very tasty and super easy to make. I used 7 medium cortland apples which I peeled. Although, my grandmother used to make delicious apple pies/desserts leaving the apple peels on at times for a change! Simmered the apples for 8 minutes. I decreased the amount of salt in the crumble topping, a family request.
I also omitted the allspice at the request of my family, added a bit more cinnamon (oops!), which I won't do next time because it gave it a 'grainy' type of texture. Used a bit of nutmeg, and I used reconstituted lemon juice. Would definitely make it again. Thanks for this recipe!
I halved this recipe with success. Easy to make and tasty. I omitted the allspice and added a bit more cinnamon. I agree with the previous reviewer that this tasted more like an apple crisp than a pie. It was good though and we ate this without ice cream. This is something I would make again. Thanks for posting!