Recipe by Shawnee TX
So good and easy to make! My siblings and I made huge batches of these cookies Sunday afternoons, and they were usually gone by Tuesday! The time for boiling the mixture is listed at 5 minutes, but if you cook it a little less, the cookies are chewier.
Top Review by godsangel_77
I just made these this morning but mine taste scorched I stirred constantly through the whole cook time and I only boiled for 2 mins??? what did I do wrong? I have to throw them all out. Thank you.. my momma also made these often..
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 1 dash salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup flaked coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, milk, butter, cocoa (I tend to go a little heavy on the cocoa) and salt.
- Heat to boiling, stirring frequently.
- When it has reached a rolling boil, cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove pan from heat and mix in vanilla, oats and coconut.
- Drop by spoonfuls onto wax paper.
- Work quickly!
- Let cool.
- Alternate/optional additions, add any one with coconut: 1/2-3/4 cup mini marshmallows or 1/2 cup walnuts.