Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I kept this recipe light but you can add butter if you want to! It's an easy way to make potatoes with a little twist. I find that the salt and pepper are necessary because you don't use the salty butter. Enjoy!
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled and cubed (2-inch - 3-inch cubes)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups leeks, whites and light greens, cut into 1/4-inch slices and rinsed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh rosemary or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary, minced
- 1 cup fat-free buttermilk, slightly warmed
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Boil potatoes in salted water until fork tender.
- Meanwhile, saute leeks in olive oil over medium heat in a nonstick pan until slightly golden, about 4 minutes. Add rosemary and stir for an additional minute or so - until you can smell it).
- Strain the potatoes when they are tender but do not rinse. Add buttermilk and mash or use a hand blender on low (never high!) to mash them. Add most of the leek mixture and salt and pepper to taste ~ important!
- Scoop into a serving dish and sprinkle reserved leek mixture on top.
We really enjoyed this but I think I would cut the amount of buittermilk back as it was a little sloppy for our tastes but the flavours of the mash were fantastic and really complimented Yummy Mummy Braised Lamb Shanks. Thank You Nif, made for 123 Hits tag game.
Loved the fact this is low fat. Used lots of black pepper.
I made the buttermilk by placing 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice into a cup adding enough fat free milk to make 8 ounces. Thanks Made for ZWT 2011
These potatoes have a great taste to be low-fat. I used dried rosemary. But maybe we would have prefered another spice. Or just omit it. Thanks Nif :) Made for Newest Zaar tag