During the warm months in Mexico, a variety of tropical fruit-flavored ices are sold by vendors with pushcarts, usually stationed in the parks and in front of schools. In the zócalo - main square - several exotic varieties are available, including those flavored with the local specialty, an egg-nog like liquor called rompope, and of course, the ever-popular tequila and lime. The following ice combines the tequila and lime with the the sweetness of mango. Prep time includes freezer time. From Mexico Connect
- Stir the sugar and water together over medium heat until the mixture boils and the sugar dissolves.
- Cool the mixture, place it in a blender, add the mango and lime juice and puree until smooth.
- Transfer to a pie plate or refrigerator tray covered with foil, and freeze 2 hours, or until slushy.
- Remove from freezer, add the tequila, and beat well.
- Return to freezer, remove after one-half hour, and beat again.
- Place the ice in the freezer and remove 10-15 minutes before serving time.
- Place in blender or food processor and process until smooth.
- Serve immediately.