Recipe by Delicious Bits
My friend moved from Australia to London then emailed me pleading to go and find her Family Circle cookbook with the New York Cheesecake recipe. I went to her Storage Unit and sorted through so much stuff for over an hour with no luck! 2 years passed and she came home for a holiday and guess where she wanted to go? To look for her recipe book. We eventually found it and when she arrived back in London, she informed me that she'd forgotten her recipe!!!! Lucky I wrote it out! So Julia, here it is Honey! Just for you!! Everyone else: It is GOOD! Try it!
- 1⁄2 cup self-rising flour
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1⁄4 cup caster sugar
- 80 g butter
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1 egg
- 750 g cream cheese, Softened
- 1⁄4 cup plain flour
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 2⁄3 cup cream
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups cream
- 3 lemons (Total of) or 3 limes (Total of) or 3 oranges (Total of)
Directions See How It's Made
- BASE: Process the flours, sugar, lemon rind and butter for 30 seconds, or until crumbly. Add the egg and process until the mixture just comes together. Knead gently on a floured surface, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes, or until firm.
- Preheat oven to hot 210c. Roll the pastry between 2 sheets of baking paper until large enough to fit the base and sides of a greased 22.5cm or 23cm round springform cake tin. Ease into the tin and trim the edges.
- Bake blind for 10 minutes, remove paper and beans, flatten pastry and bake a further 5 minutes. Cool.
- FILLING: Reduce the oven to 150c. Beat cream cheese, sugar, flour and rinds until smooth. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Beat in the cream, pour in the base, bake for 1 hour and 25-35 minutes or until almost set. Cool then refrigerate.
- CANDIED RIND: Put the sugar in a pan with 1/4 cup of water and stir over low heat until dissolved . Add the rind, bring it to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 5-6 minutes. Allow to cool and drain the rind. Whip the cream, spoon over cold cheesecake and top with candied rind.
- Serve with syrup from candied rind.