Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is serious comfort food, and a way to get them to eat more veggies.
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb fresh green beans, washed and snapped
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb new potato (if they aren't in season, use 3 large baking potatoes)
- 1⁄2 onion, diced
- 1 ham steak, fat removed and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 quart low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper (6 good grinds)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup water (optional)
- Clean and cut up all the ingredients.
- Place in your soup pot.
- Add the chicken stock and enough water so there is an inch of fluid above the vegetables.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to medium and cook for 20 minutes.
- Turn the heat down to low and simmer till the green beans are tender.
- Add a little more broth or water if this gets too dry.
- Add the cornstarch/water mixture if you want it a little thicker.
- Serve with cornbread - Yummy!
- Note: What I mean by ham steak is those one big slice of ham packages.
- You won't need to add salt - the ham has enough for the dish.
- This also works in the crockpot.
- Boil the potatoes, then add everything to the crockpot 6 - 8 hours on low.
Made this for Spring PAC 2013 and it was quite good. I cut the recipe in half and I did have everything on hand. I did add a little minced garlic (love garlic) and a little hot sauce before serving being we do like a little kick. Thank you for posting.
I have been nursing a headache and funky tummy. This soup was simple to prepare and easy on my tummy. Hubby added hot sauce to his portion, and both of us were happy.