1 hr 40 mins
With Valentine's Day looming, there is still plenty of time to plan Mardi Gras dinners and this is one of our favorite dishes! I found it several years ago in Gourmet Magazine, where credit was given to Rebecca Fulcher of Newnan, Georgia. The only changes I make is to cut the bay leaves down to 1 instead of the 4 called for. I do this because it seems to us that 4 bay leaves overpowers the other flavors. Soaking the beans overnight is essential and not included in prep time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb dried red kidney beans, picked over
- 1 lb smoked link sausage, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 pale-green inner celery ribs, chopped (with leaves)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (to taste)
- 6 cups water
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground white pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (to taste)
- 2 teaspoons salt (to taste)
- 1In a bowl soak beans in water to cover by 2 inches overnight.
- 2In a 6-quart heavy kettle combine all ingredients except 1/2 pound sausage.
- 3Bring mixture to a boil and simmer, covered, over moderate heat 1 1/2 hours.
- 4Remove lid and cook mixture at a bare simmer 1 hour more, adding more water if mixture is too thick.
- 5Remove 1 cup bean mixture and mash to a paste.
- 6Stir bean paste and remaining 1/2 pound sausage into bean mixture and simmer 5 minutes.
- 7Serve bean mixture with rice.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for New Orleans Red Beans and Rice With Sausage Fulcher
Serving Size: 1 (325 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 686.4
- Calories from Fat 270
- Total Fat 30.0 g
- Saturated Fat 10.5 g
- Cholesterol 61.8 mg
- Sodium 2333.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.3 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 41.4 g