Recipe by Kathy228
Not as mild as peaches - just a little more tart. When done, it's a pretty rosey color. No pectin needed, so it's lower in sugar. Natural pectin is in the nectarine peel... so do not peel them. If you must peel them - you will have to add pectin to the recipe (and more sugar).
Top Review by Quiet_Daisy
Great recipe. I upped it to 8 cups of nectarines, 4 cups of sugar, and 5.5 Tbl lemon juice and it made exactly 6 half pints. To make sure you've cooked the jam long enough try the freezer test. Have a plate in the freezer during the cooking. At 30 minutes, pull out the plate, & put a small dollop of hot jam on it. If, after a minute, it firms up, your jam is ready.
- 6 cups chopped nectarines, DO NOT PEEL
- 3 cups sugar
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon spices, of your choice*
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook all ingredients at a very mild boil for 30-minutes.
- *At this point you can add optional spices of your choice such as 1 teaspoons cinnamon, almond extract, or ground ginger, or 1 tblsp. brandy extract; or any favorite combination. Cook for 5 minutes more.
- Skim foam off surface.
- Ladle into sterilized jars.
- Process in boiling water bath for 10-mins.