Recipe by jovigirl
This looks like an interesting and different way to make meatloaf. Its really pretty when sliced too! From Woman's Day
Top Review by korkio
I made this recipe for my hungry Air Force boys, but I made a couple of changes because of what we had in the house. I used ground turkey instead of beef (that's all we buy), colby jack slices instead of shredded mozz, pepperoni instead of salami, garlic croutons instead of firm bread, and I left out the red pepper. I also spread my mother's meatloaf sauce on top before baking to carmelize and kept some on the side to add later. Two parts ketchup to one part spicy brown mustard and one part brown sugar. I must say, this was the tastiest meatloaf I have ever eaten. It was even better than my mom's was when I was a child, and that's saying a lot.
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped red pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 large eggs
- 3 slices firm white bread
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen chopped spinach, thawed and sqeezed dry
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 ounces genoa salami (20 very thin slices)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, red pepper and garlic, and cook 4-5 minutes, stirring often, until lightly browned and soft.
- Remove from heat.
- While onion and pepper cook, whisk eggs in large bowl.
- Tear bread into small pieces and stir into egg.
- Heat oven to 350°F Coat a 9x5 loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Put a strip of foil or plastic wrap on countertop.
- Add beef, salt, pepper and onion mixture to bowl.
- Mix gently with hands.
- Place on foil or plastic and press into a 17x8 rectangle. Top with a layer of spinach, then cheese, then overlaping slices of salami.
- Roll up meat (but not the foil or plastic) from one short end; lift into loaf pan.
- Bake 1 hour 10 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Let stand before removing from pan for 10 minutes and slice to serve.