This is a classic bean soup made with smoked ham hock or with a left over ham bone - inexpensive and serves up a crowd.
- 1 smoked ham hock (ham bone)
- 1 lb navy beans (socked according to package directions)
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions (chopped)
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots (chopped)
- 1 cup celery (chopped)
- 3 tablespoons garlic (minced)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups ham (chopped)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 sazon con azafran seasoning
- 14 ounces diced tomatoes (optional)
- In large pot add 1 tsp of olive oil - bring to medium high heat and add onion, celery, garlic and carrots - cook till onions become clear. Add beans and allow to cook for 5 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add ham hock or bone and cover with water. Bring to a boil add salt, pepper, thyme and bay leaves. Cook till beans are tender. Approximately 2 - 3 hours.
- Add ham meat, parsley and tomatoes (optional). Allow 30 minutes to reduce and serve.