Recipe by bunkie68
This recipe comes from an old church cookbook of mine. Natchitoches meat pies are a Louisiana specialty. I haven't made this recipe myself, but every Natchitoches meat pie I've had has been delicious!
Top Review by Smilyn
My husband told me to give this 5 stars since he said it is the exact same thing he ate when he was in grade school. I liked them also, but he was so excited that he found this recipe!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground pork
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup melted shortening
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the filling: Make a roux of shortening and flour.
- Add all other ingredients and salt and pepper to taste.
- Allow to cook thoroughly, and let cool before placing on dough.
- To make the dough: Sift flour, baking powder, and add shortening and then eggs.
- Add enough milk to make a stiff dough.
- Roll very thin, and use a saucer to cut a circle of dough the same size as the saucer.
- Fill half of the circle with meat mixture, fold dough over, and press closed with a wet fork.
- Fry in deep fat until golden brown.