Recipe by Loves2Teach
Now, to me this really isn't a recipe, but I was telling a friend how I make shredded chicken for recipes and she said I should post it. It always comes out tender, and has frozen well for me. I usually make double at once for oamc since it is so easy.
- 5 chicken breasts, I use the boneless pre-frozen halves from Walmart (I have used boneless thighs with good results as well)
- 1 cup chicken broth. if you value the people you are feeding do not use walmart chicken broth
Directions See How It's Made
- Place chicken breasts in pan with broth (I have used frozen, as well as fresh- frozen adds to your cooking time).
- Bring to a boil.
- Turn heat to medium, and let simmer covered for 15-20 minutes (around 10 minutes if yours are defrosted), turning occasionally.
- Then turn to medium low and let cook covered for another 60 min (or until shreds with a fork). You may need to add more broth during that hour if yours cooks down.
- I have let it cook for even longer with great results.
- Let rest in pan for at least 10 minutes, or until you can shred the meat without burning yourself.
- If you are saving the chicken for later, place it in a ziplock with the excess broth from the pan.
- Enjoy in any recipe that calls for shredded chicken.
- You can also add spices/onion/garlic to the meat while cooking, but I like to make mine plain so it will go with any recipe.