Recipe by Ninna
Instructions for cooking much quicker boiled fruit cake given below also. Mum used to make a boiled fruit cake often, sometimes with drained crushed pineapple in the mixture.
Top Review by Qu33nb33
I will never ever make a fruit cake the "conventional" way again. Boiled fruit cake is sooooo EASY! I didn't have rum so I added brandy. And I substituted 1 cup of plain flour with wholemeal for a bit of texture. Came out beautiful! Thanks so much for this recipe!
- 1 1⁄2 cups currants, 250g
- 1 1⁄2 cups sultanas, 250g
- 1 1⁄2 cups raisins, 250g
- 60 g glace cherries, halved
- 1 cup butter (250g)
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 cup water, hot
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 250 g plain flour
- 1⁄2 cup rum, maybe little more
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, blanched to decorate
Directions See How It's Made
- CHRISTMAS CAKE:.
- Beat sugar & butter very well; mix in all fruit (soaked in rum overnight), carb soda and spice.
- Add eggs and then fold in flour, then add water.
- Spoon mixture cake tin lined with 2 thicknesses each of brown and greased greaseproof paper; arrange extra almonds around top - brown paper on top of cake while it is cooking will stop it scorching.
- Cook 3 hrs 150degC (300degF), lower for fan forced - check cake with skewer or knife if it comes out clean it is cooked.
- BOILED FRUIT CAKE:
- Soak fruit with rum overnight.
- Then boil everything together, other than eggs and flour; now add eggs and fold in flour.
- Cook at 150oC (300degF), for 2 1/2 hours.
- NB: Check both types of cakes after 2 hours.