1/2 Photos of My Mom's Homemade Bread & Bun Recipe (No Bread Maker)
4 hrs 2 mins
Dianna (PGGIRL30) Holden's Note:
This is a very light and tasty bread recipe that is very easy for beginner cooks to make. I love it because I can make buns and loaves and even Cinnamon buns with the dough. Its perfect for every occasion.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In small bowl place the following ingredients:.
- 21 cup warm water.
- 3yeast and 2 tbsp white sugar (DO NOT STIR).
- 4let stand for 10 minutes.
- 5In large mixing bowl do the following steps.
- 6Place 8 cups warm water in bowl.
- 7Place remaining 2 tbsp sugar in water.
- 8Place 4 tbsp margarine or veg. oil in water.
- 9Place salt in water.
- 10Add 6 cups flour one at a time and mix as you are adding. Making sure to remove any lumps. Should be smooth before adding next cup.
- 11Pour Yeast mixture in other bowl that you set aside into mixture.
- 12Mix until smooth.
- 13Continue to add flour mixing thoroughly until dough is sticky and forms a ball (note you will have to use your hands to mix it after its too tough to mix with a spoon. It should take only about a maximum of 17 cups of flour.
- 14Take dough out of bowl and place on a flat clean dry surface which was sprinkled with about 1/2 cup of flour. Knead dough with hands for about 15 minutes or so. Dough should be soft and feel light to to touch. TIP: To prevent the dough from sticking to your hands a lot rub vegetable oil on them or take a piece of margarine and rub it into your hands then continue to knead dough. DO NOT ADD MORE FLOUR! It will make your bread dough TOO HEAVY! if you do.
- 15Separate dough in half. Place each half in a bowl. Place a light towel over it and let the dough rise for 1 hour or until doubled.
- 16FOR BUNS: Take about the size of a baseball of dough in your hand roll into a ball and place it on an ungreased cookie sheet. Let rise for another 1/2 hour or until buns are double in size. For buns to rise tall place them close together almost touching. Bake at 375°F.
- 17FOR LOAVES: Take a large amount of dough and roll into a roll dough should not take up more than half of the loaf pan. Make sure dough roll is even or you will end up with a lopsided loaf or narrow loaf. Let rise for 1 to 2 hours. Or until Dough is nicely formed above the rim of the loaf pan. Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes or until golden brown. To test to see if done knock on top of the loaf. If it sounds hollow it is completed baking. It will be a dark golden brown color when finished.
- 18Take Loaves out of oven and take them IMMEDIATELY OUT OF THE PANS upside down. (If you leave them till cooled in pans what happens is the bottom crust gets soggy from the condensation). Brush melted butter over top of loaves to prevent from drying out.
- 19Yield: 4 loaves 2 dozen buns.
- 20Depends on size.
- 21TIP: This bread dough is great for anything such as pizza crusts, cinnamon buns, take a bit and roll it out thin and place it in a frying pan with a little oil and fry it and serve with jam or peanut butter.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Mom's Homemade Bread & Bun Recipe (No Bread Maker)
Serving Size: 1 (691 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1269.6
- Calories from Fat 113
- Total Fat 12.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 213.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 249.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.0 g
- Sugars 9.2 g
- Protein 34.7 g