Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
I am always looking for ways to make low fat meals more interesting. I came up with this recipe one night and was happy with the result - very tasty and easy. Most, if not all, the ingredients are pantry and refrigerator staples. Serve with a green salad and rice if you like.
- olive oil flavored cooking spray or 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 skinless chicken breasts, flattened slightly
- 1 (425 g) canchopped or crushed tomatoes with onion and garlic (or oregano and black olives or black pepper and garlic, any combination is fine)
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1⁄2 red capsicum, diced
- 8 mushrooms, sliced
- 100 g baby spinach leaves, washed
- 10 black olives, pitted
- chili flakes (optional)
- black pepper, to taste
- sea salt, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Spray a pan with olive oil spray and sauté finely chopped onion, capsicum, garlic and chilli.
- After a few minutes add the mushrooms.
- After a few more minutes add the tin of tomato. I use a 425g tin.
- If you do not have the tomatoes with herbs add some of your favorite herbs (oregano/basil etc) for some extra kick.
- Slice 5 of the olives and add to the tomato mixture and heat gently.
- Spray an ovenproof dish with cooking spray.
- Spread a good spoon full of the tomato mix on the bottom of the dish.
- Layer half of the spinach leaves on top of the tomato mixture.
- Place chicken breasts on top of the spinach leaves.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the rest of the spinach leaves on top of the chicken.
- Scatter the remaining 5 olives around the dish.
- Spoon over the rest of the tomato mixture making sure all the chicken is covered.
- Place in the oven, uncovered, until the chicken is cooked.
- I find it takes about 40 minutes however this may vary with your oven. Always ensure that the chicken is cooked through before serving.
- Serve each chicken breast with an equal amount of the tomato sauce and spinach.
I loved this! Low fat and tasty, Thats a winning combination. My spinach created quite a bit of liquid in the bottom of the dish that I wouldn't have have missed. I sprinkled about 1/2 tsp of Italian herb mix over the chicken layer and first spinach layer and passed on the chili flakes. It really came together nicely and made an enjoyable dinner with 45 mins in the oven.