Prep 0 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is Purdue's Master Mix, enriched with whole dried milk. Use 5 lbs. of flour and 2 pounds of shortening - no need to use measuring cups! Substitute whole wheat (pastry) flour for up to half of the all-purpose flour, if desired.
- Measure/weigh all ingredients accurately.
- Stir the flour, dry milk, salt,baking powder, cream of tartar and sugar together until well blended.
- Cut in the shortening with a pastry blender or rub your hands until it is evenly distributed and the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Makes about 29 cups of mix.
- Store this mix in an air tight container such as glass jars, or in plastic or metal containers.
- Be careful not to pack the mix. Tighten the lids and store at room temperature in a dark place.
- Label and date the container. This mix keeps 4 weeks at room temperatures.
- Freeze for longer storage - up to a year.