Recipe by Seasoned Cook
DELICIOUS!! My family loves spaghetti. I have perfected my own recipe by preparing it over a hundred times to get the "just right" taste. We like a lot of sauce, therefore, I only cook 8 ounces of noodles. We like the thin spaghetti noodles. I had to write the recipe down because my granddaughter and her son love it. For this recipe I purchase the leanest ground beef which is 93 percent meat and 7 percent fat. We always have a large piece of crusty buttered garlic bread with our spaghetti.
Top Review by TransplantedHusker
WOW!! Tried this on a whim tonight - I used red wine instead of water as suggested by another poster, forgot the Italian seasoning (didn't need it, I think!) and realized at last minute I had tomato SAUCE instead of paste and added mushrooms. YUM - I've already had some leftovers tonight at 11:00 p.m. no less and can't wait to take some for lunch.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (26 ounce) spaghetti sauce (I use Bertolli's Tomato and Basil sauce)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 (6 ounce) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces spaghetti noodles (thin)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, heat vegetable oil and saute onions for 2 minutes. Lift out into a small dish and set aside. (For the garlic lovers, 1 teaspoon of minced garlic may be added to cook along with onions.).
- Brown ground beef and drain. Place onions and ground beef back into saucepan.
- Add spaghetti sauce - (I use Bertolli's Tomato and Basil sauce. I rinse out the jar with the 1/2 cup of water and pour into saucepan.) Continue to add: tomato paste, worcestershire sauce, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, sugar, salt and black pepper.
- Place lid on saucepan and cook on low heat for 30 minutes. While the sauce is simmering, cook noodles according to instructions on box. (I add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil to water to prevent noodles from sticking together and add salt to water.) Cook only to a la dente stage and drain.
- Serve noodles on plate with sauce on top. Serve with buttered garlic bread.