Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Well, at least it's my favourite ground meat and tomato based pasta sauce. I always just throw it together, so it's a little different every time, but this time I did take meassurements, so I could share. Feel free to experiment with extra herbs or using just beef or just pork. I always make extra with this because it freezes extremely well. The recipe can easily be halved or doubled!
- 453.59 g ground beef
- 453.59 g ground pork
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 bell peppers, chopped (any colours)
- 10-15 button mushrooms or 10-15 chestnut mushrooms, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (793.78 g) canchopped stewed tomatoes with herbs (you might want to use 3 cans)
- 118.29 ml tomato paste
- 177.44 ml tomato ketchup (Heinz)
- 236.59 ml water (I prefer milk, you can also use a bit of both) or 236.59 ml milk (I prefer milk, you can also use a bit of both)
- 12.32 ml dried oregano
- 4.92 ml dried basil
- 9.85 ml sugar
- 7.39 ml vegetable bouillon granules (optional)
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Heat a little oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and the ground meat, season with salt and pepper, fry until meat is no longer pink.
- Add the garlic and stir well, fry for another minute or so.
- Add the tomatoes (try 2 cans first, you can always add the third one if you feel you want it to be 'saucier' later, after you have added the veg).
- Add the tomato paste, ketchup and water/milk.
- Stir in the oregano, basil, sugar and stock granules (if using).
- Add the chopped peppers and mushrooms, mix well and simmer for 25-30 minutes over a low heat, stirring occasionally.
- If you feel it needs it, add the third can of chopped tomatoes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve over your favourite pasta, with fresh parmesan or use as a layer when making a lasagna.
- For OAMC: Divide into portions that suit your needs, allow to cool and freeze in zip lock bags.
- Defrost overnight in the fridge and reheat in the microwave or on the stove top.
- To reheat from frozen, place in an oven proof dish, cover with a lid or tin foil and reheat in a preheated oven, 180°C/350°F/Gas 4 for approx 35 minutes or until piping hot all the way through.
This is a lovely pasta sauce, we loved all the veggies in it! It was quick and easy to make too; I quartered the recipe and still got 3 serves out of it. Thanks for sharing Sylvie!
Sylvie, This recipe was just delicious! So Easy too! I made extra and froze it for later!Thanks for a great recipe!