Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
Now, to me this really isn't a recipe, but I was telling a friend how I make shredded chicken for recipes and she said I should post it. It always comes out tender, and has frozen well for me. I usually make double at once for oamc since it is so easy.
- 5 chicken breasts, I use the boneless pre-frozen halves from Walmart (I have used boneless thighs with good results as well)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Place chicken breasts in pan with broth (I have used frozen, as well as fresh- frozen adds to your cooking time).
- Bring to a boil.
- Turn heat to medium, and let simmer covered for 15-20 minutes (around 10 minutes if yours are defrosted), turning occasionally.
- Then turn to medium low and let cook covered for another 60 min (or until shreds with a fork). You may need to add more broth during that hour if yours cooks down.
- I have let it cook for even longer with great results.
- Let rest in pan for at least 10 minutes, or until you can shred the meat without burning yourself.
- If you are saving the chicken for later, place it in a ziplock with the excess broth from the pan.
- Enjoy in any recipe that calls for shredded chicken.
- You can also add spices/onion/garlic to the meat while cooking, but I like to make mine plain so it will go with any recipe.
Great! Thanks.<br/><br/>I used the chicken for a BBQ chicken pizza (w/ Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce, roasted red onions and cheese). So simple and yummy!... and the kids LOVED IT.
You can easily shred chicken if you have a stand mixer (such as Kitchen Aid) by throwing cooked chicken in mixer and using paddle attachment until shredded as small as you'd like. No need for broth but I'm sure that would make it even more tender and delicious.
Awesome! My fridge and freezer went so I used this to cook some of my defrosted chicken. I used 6 boneless skinless breasts. I added 1/2tsp. salt, pepper and garlic powder. Also sprinkled in some red pepper flakes. This shredded beautifully and was very moist! I let it sit a little while in the broth to soak up extra juice so it would freeze nicely. I put the rest of the broth in an ice cube tray and froze it so I'll have broth cubes. I'm well on my way to re-stocking my freezer. I chose to do this on the stove top as I already had another chicken recipe cooking in the crockpot! I did following the cooking time exactly. I'm very happy I chose this recipe. Thank you!