Recipe by deinemuse
My dad would make this after every easter and it was always great. Nothing can compare. Also, if you do not have a ham bone from easter, hamhocks work just as well. Also, if you can not find turnips, rutabas will work.
- 16 ounces split peas
- 4 turnips (purple top small)
- 1 ham bone
- 64 ounces chicken broth
- 1⁄2 water
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak peas overnight.
- Next day Place peas in colander and rinse with cold water.
- Place Ham bone/s in large pot. You may want to remove obvious fat first.
- Add chicken broth and water to cover ham.
- Add rinsed peas to pot.
- Add vegetables to pot.
- Add diced purple top turnips to pot.
- Cook over low heat for about 4 hours. Meat should be coming off the bone.
- Salt to taste.
- Remove bone and discard.
- Remove pieces of meat and save for later or just use fresh cut ham leftover.
- I usually put liquid in a blender to liquefy all the stuff. This usually takes a while to do it all. You’ll need an extra pot for the blended pea soup.
- Put blended soup back on stove to heat. Add shredded carrots and the meat (if you wish) and cook for about 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
- You may want to add some salt and maybe some more chicken broth to taste.
- Serve with home made garlic croutons or rye bread.