Dad's Chicken Soup
photo by Chef Jodi Town
- Ready In:
- 8 cups canned low sodium chicken broth (or more--I usually use more like 12)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice (or pasta)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme, crumbled
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- salt and pepper
- chopped fresh parsley
- Bring first five ingredients to boil in heavy large pot or Dutch oven over high heat.
- Mix in rice and thyme.
- Return soup to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer uncovered until rice is tender, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
- Add chicken and simmer until heated through, thinning with additional broth if desired.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer soup to large bowl.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.
- Note: if using pasta instead of rice, add it with the chicken and simmer until the pasta is tender.
- I like corkscrew pasta in this.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was very good! My DH doesn't like chicken soup typically, but he did love this one. I poached the chicken breasts, and sauteed the veggies and fresh thyme in a little olive oil until soft. I added packaged chicken stock and fresh minced garlic. I also thickened the soup with about 4 tbsp cornstarch and added some 1% milk for a bit creamier broth. At the end, I added the little salad pasta rings (also cooked in chicken stock). Was delicious, and I'm very glad we have leftovers for tomorrow! Will definitely make again. Thanks for the recipe jmelyn!
I made this Chicken and Rice Soup tonight for dinner and we were all pleased ! I did make a few changes. <br/><br/>Here is what I did:<br/>I started with 12 cups low sodium chicken broth<br/>1 Tbsp. Mrs. Dash garlic & herb<br/> added <br/>10 frozen chicken tenders<br/> I let that cook while I chopped<br/>1/2 large white onion<br/>2 large celery sticks<br/>1 large garlic clove <br/> and grated my 2 carrots fairly finely (like for a salad)<br/> Then added <br/>2 cups of uncooked long grain brown rice<br/><br/>I cooked it for an hour to let the long grain rice cook.<br/>When it was done, I pulled out the chicken and chopped it into bite size pieces.<br/><br/>The grated carrots gave it pretty color and the rice absorbed most of the liquid. I am not a soup maker, but this was really good. I was pleased! And my husband and son even more so ! Janice from Anchorage, Alaska
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hi! I'm a mom to a four and a half year old boy and I work full time. Recently divorced...I don't have the time or money I used to have to plan and cook meals. But I still love to eat! I generally eat very healthy food, but sometimes indulge in old fashioned comfort food...as my recipe collection attests to. <br> <br>Hope you like my recipes!