My Dad's Pea Soup Recipe With Ham Bone
photo by deinemuse
- Ready In:
- 5hrs 20mins
- Soak peas overnight.
- Next day Place peas in colander and rinse with cold water.
- Place Ham bone/s in large pot. You may want to remove obvious fat first.
- Add chicken broth and water to cover ham.
- Add rinsed peas to pot.
- Add vegetables to pot.
- Add diced purple top turnips to pot.
- Cook over low heat for about 4 hours. Meat should be coming off the bone.
- Salt to taste.
- Remove bone and discard.
- Remove pieces of meat and save for later or just use fresh cut ham leftover.
- I usually put liquid in a blender to liquefy all the stuff. This usually takes a while to do it all. You’ll need an extra pot for the blended pea soup.
- Put blended soup back on stove to heat. Add shredded carrots and the meat (if you wish) and cook for about 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
- You may want to add some salt and maybe some more chicken broth to taste.
- Serve with home made garlic croutons or rye bread.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I love to cook, especially ethnic foods. I also try to make foods low in calorie and fat for all of us dieters out there. Thanks for all of you who post recipes up for me to try!