Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
My recipe for keftedes -- Greek meatballs.
- 453.59 g fresh ground lamb (other ground meat may be substituted)
- 118.29 ml finely minced onions or 14.79-29.58 ml minced onion flakes
- 1-3 minced garlic clove
- 118.29 ml finely minced pimiento-free green olives or 118.29 ml kalamata olive
- 236.59 ml crumbled feta cheese or 236.59 ml grated parmesan cheese
- 29.58 ml fresh lemon juice (juice of 1 lemon)
- 29.58 ml chopped fresh parsley or 7.39 ml parsley flakes
- 14.79 ml chopped of fresh mint or 4.92 ml dried mint
- 6.16 ml fine sea salt
- 2.46 ml finely grated fresh lemon zest (yellow rind only)
- 1.23 ml ground allspice
- 1.23 ml ground cinnamon
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 2.46 ml ground nutmeg
- 2.46 ml crushed dried oregano
- 2.46 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 1.23 ml white pepper
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 14.79 ml flour
- 118.29 ml fresh breadcrumb (crust removed)
- 59.14 ml milk
- 28.39 ml ouzo liqueur or 28.39 ml Pernod or 4.92 ml anise extract
- olive oil (for frying)
- flour (to coat before frying)
- 236.59 ml plain yogurt
- 118.29 ml cucumber, finely chopped
- 29.58 ml chopped fresh dill or 2 teapoons dried dill
- 3.69 ml chopped of fresh mint or 1.23 ml dried mint
- 2.46 ml finely minced fresh garlic
- 9.85-14.78 ml thinly snipped green onion tops (optional)
- 1.23 ml finely grated fresh lemon zest (yellow rind only)
- TRADITIONAL PREPARATION METHOD: INTO a large bowl add the MAIN INGREDIENTS without mixing (1 lb fresh ground lamb (other ground meat may be added and/or substituted), 1/2 cup finely minced onions or 1-2 tablespoons minced onion flakes, 1-3 minced garlic clove, 1/2 cup finely minced pimiento-free olives (green or kalamata), 1 cup crumbled feta cheese or 1 cup grated parmesan cheese, 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (juice of 1 lemon), 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or 1 1/2 teaspoons parsley flakes, 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint or 1 teaspoon dried mint, 1 1/4 teaspoons fine sea salt, 1/2 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon zest, 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice, 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon crushed dried oregano, 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, 1/4 teaspoon white pepper; BEAT a one egg with 1 tablespoon flour in a small bowl; POUR 1/4 cup milk and 1/8 cup ouzo or Pernod (or 1 teaspoon anise extract) into the egg and flour mixture; ADD 1/2 cup bread crumbs; ALLOW breadcrumbs to soak; ADD soaked bread crumb mixture to meat mixture; MIX well; CHILL meatball mixture until very cold (40 degrees F).
- ALTERNATE QUICK METHOD: INTO large food processor add 1/4 cup milk, 1 egg, 1 tablespoon flour, 1/8 cup ouzo (or 1 teaspoon anise extract) and 1/2 cup bread crumbs; PROCESS; ADD the MAIN INGREDIENTS except for ground lamb and feta cheese; PROCESS; ADD ground lamb; PROCESS (Feta cheese may be added to mixture now and processed or folded into after); REMOVE meat from processor; CHILL meatball mixture until very cold (you may use freezer).
- ROLL meat mixture into walnut-sized balls.
- SCANT pour 1 cup flour into a tear-resistant bag.
- PLACE uncooked meatballs into a bag containing flour.
- GENTLY shake a few meatballs at a time in bag with flour.
- REPEAT procedure until all meatballs are coated with flour.
- FRY flour-coated meatballs in at least 1/2 inch hot olive oil until browned and fully cooked, about 1/2 batch at a time (meatballs may be deep-fried in a deep-fryer, or in an electric wok, which is the easiest method providing the best results).
- COMBINE the TZATZIKI SAUCE recipe ingredients and chill. Use this as a sauce, dip or dressing for gyros, or pita sandwiches with sliced cold meatballs in pita bread, or rolled in a flatbread with fresh tomatoes and onions. Delicious!
- Serve and say, "OPA"!
This was great...... I made this for my soldiers for a dinner not one was left. i made over 13 batches . Thank you
These blow away every other Greek meatball recipe out there - I've tried many and my former favorite recipe is almost pathetic now! thanks. I used green olives instead of greek olives. Next time i'll double the batch!