Lemony Greek Meatballs
photo by Michelle Berteig
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 small red onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano (or 2 t dried)
- 3⁄4 lb ground lamb
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (fresh is best)
- vegetable cooking spray
- salt and pepper
- Finely chop the onion. Mince the garlic.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and spray the foil with vegetable oil spray.
- Heat oil in a small skillet to medium-high. Saute onion and garlic for about 3 minutes or until onion is translucent.
- In a large bowl blend egg and milk. Add breadcrumbs, 2T parsley, and oregano and mix well. Add half of the sauteed onion mixture, the lamb, and the beef to the bowl; season with salt and pepper and mix well.
- Form the mixture into 1 1/2 inch meatballs and put them on the prepared pan. Spray the tops of the meatballs with vegetable oil spray. Bake meatballs at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes.
- While meatballs are baking, add the wine to the skillet with the remaining onion mixture and bring to a boil. Cook until liquid is reduced by half. Add lemon juice and remaining 2T parsley and cook an additional 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the cooked meatballs in a shallow bowl and pour the wine mixture over them. Toss gently to coat well. Serve immediately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Wow, these meatballs were really tasty and easy to make! I loved the baking instructions, the time and temperature were right on. The sauce was great as well. I could see making regular meatballs this way as well. The family loved these, they are going into the favorites file! Made for Pink Panthers on the Prowl for ZWT9.
Astounding, perfect texture on these meatballs. I'm sitting here wondering if I can convert my Mom's Italian meatball recipe to this panade use. And so easy to cook via baking. The high heat resulted in really nicely browned bottoms. The flavor was very good, as well. Thanks so much for a great dinner! ZWT9
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY