Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
You just can't go wrong with this recipe. I can't recall where I got it, but I have been making this for years...it's my family's favorite onion soup. Simple but delicious!
- 10 -12 large onions, sliced
- 1 cup butter
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans consomme
- 3 (14 ounce) cans beef broth
- 6 beef bouillon cubes
- 4 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- In a large pan, saute onions and garlic in butter until clear.
- Sprinkle flour over onions and stir well. Add salt and sugar, then stir.
- Add 4 cups of water with bouillon.
- Add Consomme, broth and wine. Simmer for several hours.
- Spoon into bowls and float garlic toast rounds topped with Mozzarella Cheese. You may want to put under the broiler for a few seconds --watch closely.