This Pakistani side dish is superb, it goes great with pretty much anything and is easily enjoyed by itself too. Serve with some yogurt or achar and it's great! It may look a little overwhelming to make but it's actually quite easy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups long grain white rice, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 3 cloves
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 black cardamom pod (black elachi)
- 5 whole black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2-1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1In a pot, heat up the oil on medium high heat.
- 2Add the onion and cook till it softens, becomes translucent and releases its water. Do not brown or dry out.
- 3Add cloves, bay leaf, cardamom, peppercorn and cumin.
- 4Fry for about a minute or so.
- 5Add turmeric powder, coriander powder and chilli powder. Stir and fry a bit. If it looks a little dry add a little bit of the chicken stock that you have aside.
- 6Add the garlic and ginger paste, stir fry a minute or two.
- 7Add the peas and chicken stock and let it warm up but not to a boil.
- 8Add rice and salt to taste. Stir well. Increase heat to high. Let the rice come to a boil and let boil for 5 minutes.
- 9Give a quick stir, cover with lid and turn heat down to medium and let cook for 15 minutes.
- 10Turn the stove off. Do not uncover the rice or move it from the stove. Let it sit in its steam for 5-10 minutes as the stove cools down allowing the rice to become fluffy.
- 11Serve hot!
Browse Our Top Long-Grain Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Long-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mutter Pulao (Rice Pilaf With Peas)
Serving Size: 1 (816 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1179.0
- Calories from Fat 313
- Total Fat 34.8 g
- Saturated Fat 5.5 g
- Cholesterol 14.4 mg
- Sodium 709.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 183.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.1 g
- Sugars 13.9 g
- Protein 29.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
black cardamom pods
whole black peppercorns