Recipe by English_Rose
These tasty mustard pickles are excellent with cold meats or cheese and a hunk of good bread.
- 4 cucumbers
- 3 white onions
- 1 cauliflower
- 1 red pepper, deseeded
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 3 1⁄2 cups distilled white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons ground turmeric
- 3 tablespoons mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 1⁄2 ounces plain flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut all the vegetables into 1/2in cubes. Put in a large bowl and mix in the salt. Pour in enough water to cover, and leave to stand for 2 hours.
- Tip the vegetables into a large sieve and drain thoroughly. Return to the bowl.
- Boil the vinegar with the sugar and water. Stir in the turmeric, mustard and ginger.
- Slowly add the flour, whisking to get rid of any lumps. Leave to simmer gently for 3 minutes until thickened.
- Pour the mixture over the well-drained vegetables and mix well.
- Allow to cool, then refrigerate. Alternatively spoon into sterilised jars, and cover immediately with airtight, vinegar-proof lids.