Recipe by dumbell579
Great Pakistani side dish recipe for string green beans. Very easy to make and very tasty by itself, served with roti/naan, regular bread or even plain rice. This recipe is pretty much to taste so you can adjust it to your liking.
Top Review by jessiethebestie
I tried this because I like experimenting with different cultural foods and flavors. I love mustard, and I love green beans, so I thought I would like this, but blech..was NOT a winner to me. Out of 4 people in the house, only 1 liked it, and he's missing half his taste buds so there's not much he won't eat lol. I'm sorry, was hoping for a better result. :(
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can French style green beans
- black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 tablespoon regular yellow mustard (the kind you put on hot dogs, also to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly oil a small saucepan or fry pan, about a teaspoon and heat on medium high heat.
- Add the mustard seeds and let them fry a minute or so.
- Add the green beans, chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt and black pepper with just a little bit of water about 1/4 cup.
- Stir, cover and let cook for about 5 mins on medium high heat or until the green beans are done/tender.
- Turn the heat to high and stir in the regular mustard. Cook it on high till the water evaporates out of the oil and the mustard is cooked inches.
- Taste and adjust seasoning to liking. My husband prefers it medium on the spice but a little bit stronger on the mustardy taste.
- Note: once the regular yellow mustard is cooked in, it will not be in strong in taste as it is when you would normally eat it on a hot dog, so keep that in mind when you add it, for a stronger flavor you will have to use more.