1/3 Photos of Mushroom Stuffed Brie En Croute
1 hr 5 mins
When Sex & the City was on HBO, I hosted a girls' get-together every Sunday night, complete with cosmopolitans and champagne. This baked brie got the most compliments and there were never leftovers. Note that this can be made in advance and put in the oven when your guests arrive - the house will smell good! The recipe is originally from Gourmet magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 small onion, minced to 1/2 cup
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 lb mushroom, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 (17 1/4 ounce) package puff pastry sheets, thawed according to package directions (find this in the frozen dessert section)
- 14 ounces brie round, chilled (Note this is a larger size, up to 17 oz, which is not available in all grocery stores)
- 1 large egg
- 1In a 9- to 10-inch heavy skillet, cook onion in butter over moderate heat, stirring, until softened.
- 2Add mushrooms, sherry, nutmeg, and salt and pepper, to taste, and saute over moderately high heat, stirring, until the liquid that the mushrooms give off is evaporated.
- 3Cool mushroom mixture.
- 4On a lightly floured surface roll out 1 sheet of pastry into a 13-inch square and, using Brie as a guide, cut out 1 round the size of the Brie.
- 5Cut out a mushroom shape from scraps for decoration, or use any cookie cutter shape.
- 6Horizontally halve Brie.
- 7Roll out remaining sheet of pastry into a 13-inch square and transfer to a shallow baking pan.
- 8Center the bottom half of Brie, cut side up, on pastry square and spread mushroom mixture on top.
- 9Cover mushroom mixture with remaining half of Brie, cut side down.
- 10Without stretching pastry, wrap it snugly up over Brie and trim excess to leave a 1-inch border of pastry on top of Brie.
- 11In a small bowl, lightly beat egg and brush onto border.
- 12Top Brie with pastry round, pressing edges of dough together gently but firmly to seal.
- 13Brush the top of pastry with some egg and arrange pastry mushroom on it.
- 14Lightly brush mushroom with some egg, being careful not to let egg drip over edge of mushroom (which would prevent it from rising).
- 15With back of a sharp small knife, gently score side of pastry with vertical marks, being careful not to cut through dough.
- 16Chill Brie, uncovered, 30 minutes.
- 17Brie may be made up to this point 1 day ahead and chilled, loosely covered.
- 18Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- 19Bake Brie in middle of oven until pastry is puffed and golden, about 20 minutes.
- 20Let Brie stand in pan on a rack 15 minutes and transfer with a spatula to a serving plate.
- 21Serve Brie with French baguettes or crackers.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mushroom Stuffed Brie En Croute
Serving Size: 1 (128 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 439.8
- Calories from Fat 293
- Total Fat 32.5 g
- Saturated Fat 13.3 g
- Cholesterol 64.4 mg
- Sodium 381.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 13.2 g