Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
When Sex & the City was on HBO, I hosted a girls' get-together every Sunday night, complete with cosmopolitans and champagne. This baked brie got the most compliments and there were never leftovers. Note that this can be made in advance and put in the oven when your guests arrive - the house will smell good! The recipe is originally from Gourmet magazine.
- 1 small onion, minced to 1/2 cup
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 (17 1/4 ounce) package puff pastry sheets, thawed according to package directions (find this in the frozen dessert section)
- 14 ounces brie round, chilled (Note this is a larger size, up to 17 oz, which is not available in all grocery stores)
- 1 large egg
- In a 9- to 10-inch heavy skillet, cook onion in butter over moderate heat, stirring, until softened.
- Add mushrooms, sherry, nutmeg, and salt and pepper, to taste, and saute over moderately high heat, stirring, until the liquid that the mushrooms give off is evaporated.
- Cool mushroom mixture.
- On a lightly floured surface roll out 1 sheet of pastry into a 13-inch square and, using Brie as a guide, cut out 1 round the size of the Brie.
- Cut out a mushroom shape from scraps for decoration, or use any cookie cutter shape.
- Horizontally halve Brie.
- Roll out remaining sheet of pastry into a 13-inch square and transfer to a shallow baking pan.
- Center the bottom half of Brie, cut side up, on pastry square and spread mushroom mixture on top.
- Cover mushroom mixture with remaining half of Brie, cut side down.
- Without stretching pastry, wrap it snugly up over Brie and trim excess to leave a 1-inch border of pastry on top of Brie.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat egg and brush onto border.
- Top Brie with pastry round, pressing edges of dough together gently but firmly to seal.
- Brush the top of pastry with some egg and arrange pastry mushroom on it.
- Lightly brush mushroom with some egg, being careful not to let egg drip over edge of mushroom (which would prevent it from rising).
- With back of a sharp small knife, gently score side of pastry with vertical marks, being careful not to cut through dough.
- Chill Brie, uncovered, 30 minutes.
- Brie may be made up to this point 1 day ahead and chilled, loosely covered.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Bake Brie in middle of oven until pastry is puffed and golden, about 20 minutes.
- Let Brie stand in pan on a rack 15 minutes and transfer with a spatula to a serving plate.
- Serve Brie with French baguettes or crackers.
It%u2019s best to use a firm, fairly unripe Brie for this recipe. Freezing Brie for about 20 minutes is a trick that will keep the cheese from melting too much during baking, while still allowing it to become soft and spreadable.
This is a great dish. I made this for my friends last fall and they have been making comments about it ever since. My brother even drunk dialed me from a bar for the recipe so he could share with some women. You were right about serving with crackers or baguette, I served mine with a variety of "vessels," (toast points, garlic bread, vegetables, etc...) but the simple crackers worked the best. I would highly recommend this dish to anyone hosting a party, it rocks.
Made this last night for a girls night in and we devoured it!! It was SO yummy! I'm making it again tonight for my hubby because I know he'll love it too....and I have more stuff to make it that I need to use up! ;)