Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
My daughters mother in law is Italian and this tastes like hers. I have made this many times using different dried mushrooms. It is excellent. Very earthy comfort food
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 diced onion, divided sometimes i use shallot
- 2 garlic cloves, divided
- 1 lb mushroom, sliced (I use a mixture of cremini, shitake, & portobello)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt & pepper
- 1 tablespoon truffle oil
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms, wiped of grit
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- fresh Italian parsley (to garnish)
- Heat the chicken stock in a medium saucepan and keep warm on low heat.
- Reconstitute the dried mushrooms in 1 cup of warm chicken broth.
- Drain & set aside.
- Reserve the soaking broth.
- Heat 1 Tbsp of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add 1/2 the onion and 1 clove of garlic.
- Cook and stir until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the fresh mushrooms, herbs, and butter.
- Saute 5- 7 minutes until browned.
- Add the reconstituted dried mushrooms and drizzle with Truffle oil
- Saute 1 minute,
- Add salt & freshly cracked black pepper
- Remove from heat. Set aside.
- Add remaining oil to a medium saucepan.
- Saute the remaining onion and garlic.
- Add the rice and stir quickly until it is well coated and opaque.(1 minute).
- Add the wine and cook and stir until almost completely evaporated.
- Add the warm chicken stock 1 ladle at a time stirring after each addition until rice absorbs liquid. This step takes about 20 minutes. When done the risitto should be slightly firm and creamy.
- Add the mushroome to the rice.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese.
- Top with a drizzle of truffle oil & chopped Parsley.