Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
A delicious and simple roast recipe with a very tasty gravy.
- 3 -4 lbs blade pot roast, trimmed of fat
- to taste flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups sliced onions
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄3 cup dry sherry
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 medium whole bay leaf
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, whole or cut in half
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons flour
- to taste wide egg noodles, cooked and drained
- Coat meat with flour.
- In a Dutch oven, brown meat on both sides in 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add 2 cups of sliced onion.
- Combine 1/4 cup each of water and ketchup, 1/3 cup dry sherry, 1 large clove garlic, minced, 1/4 teaspoon each of dry mustard, marjoram, crushed rosemary, thyme and 1 medium whole bay leaf.
- Add to pot, simmer covered for 2 hours or until tender.
- Remove meat to platter.
- Discard bay leaf.
- Add 1/4 lb. fresh mushrooms.
- Blend 1/4 cup cold water with 2 tablespoons flour.
- Stir into juices.
- Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Pour gravy over roast and use the rest for wide egg noodles you have cooked and drained.
- I usually double the gravy.
This was the best roast I have ever eaten. The gravy was beyond compare. I added a pinch of salt and doubled the gravy. Good thing I did the family couldn`t get enought of it.
Made the roast exactly as recipe states, except doubled the ingredients for the gravy. The gravy is very tasty and the meat nice and tender, however, the gravy was too sweet for our tastes. I should have realized that when adding the ketchup and sherry. I would still recommend this recipe.
This really is an incredible tasting roast. The gravy is really incredible, and like another person posted doubling the gravy is recommended. The gravy is a HUGE hit! Next time I would use the smallest mushrooms I could find, or add a few more, but we're mushroom fiends. I did do a variation though. We just bought some fresh sourdough bread, so I made it open face sandwich style. The sourdough went great with the gravy.