Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a fast, easy and sinfully delicious recipe from a family friend. My mom usually doubles the recipe for parties -- it's a rare occasion when there's any left over. IMPORTANT NOTE: You MUST use butter! Margarine cannot be substituted!
- 4 (1/2 lb) packageswhole white button mushrooms
- 1⁄3 cup butter (Must be butter! Margarine is too oily)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon onion salt
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 pint whipping cream
- 1 loaf French bread
- Line a 9"x13" pan with mushrooms.
- Mix remaining ingredients over mushrooms.
- Bake COVERED at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
- Serve with french bread to dip.
Love this! Made it for an appe at a party. I used baby bella mushrooms and cut them into fours. I would dice mushrooms if making an appetizer, as a side dish just leave whole. Fantastic...can't wait to make it again and pour it over mashed potatoes!
Very nice appetizer. I sliced the mushrooms and made this parve (non dairy) by subbing the butter with Smart Balance spread and used parve whipping cream (found in the frozen section of the market, near other Jewish foods), and baked it, covered with aluminum foil for 40minutes. Was good over mashed potato, and also instead of "gravy" for turkey. Reheats well the next day. Will likely make again, but with less butter, as this was way too oily, without adding much extra to the overall flavor. Overall, definitely recommended!