Recipe by Jester's Lace
From the Desperation Dinners column in my newspaper. I'm putting it here because the chance of me keeping track of a clipping are nil. Credit Beverly Mills and Alicia Ross. The column says it freezes well, but I haven't tried it yet.
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 16 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large egg
- 16 ounces cottage cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup sweet marsala wine
- 16 ounces alfredo sauce
- 12 no-boil lasagna noodles
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 deg.
- Spray pan with nonstick spray. The recipe called for using two 8X8 inch pans and freezing one. I'm going to try it in a 13X9.
- Cook the onions and mushrooms in hot olive oil until tender, add garlic and cook 30 seconds. Add wine and cook over medium high heat until the liquid is reduced, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a mixing bowl, combine cottage cheese, egg, and Italian seasoning.
- Pour into pan(s) enough alfredo sauce to coat bottom. Add a layer of noodles. Spoon 1/4 (if using two pans) or 1/2 (if using one) of mushroom mixture over noodles. Sprinkle with mozzarella.
- Add a layer of noodles, and one of cottage cheese (using all). Add the diced tomatoes. The directions specify including the juice from the can, but I'm dubious. Use your own judgement.
- Add a layer of noodles, top with rest of mushroom mixture. Pour over remaining alfredo sauce. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella.
- Cover with nonstick aluminum foil and bake 50 minutes with foil on, 5 with foil off. Time may vary if using one pan.
- The freezing directions say bake the lasagna for 50 minutes, recover with foil, and freeze. (I have always frozen my lasagnas uncooked and will try that first, myself)
- Reheating instructions say defrost in fridge for 24 hrs, let stand at room temp, uncovered, for 30 min, then reheat covered for 30 minutes at 325 and five more uncovered at 375. Since I will probably freeze mine uncooked, I will follow the defrosting instructions, but cook it for the full 50 min + 5 (or more if it looks underdone).