1/2 Photos of Munich Apple Strudel
1 hr 45 mins
In contrast to the famous Vienna style, its Munich relative is a juicy affair and is prepared in a baking pan. My husband is from Munich and loves this yummy treat, it's from a cookbook purchased in Bavaria that converts the measurements to English units, "Bavarian Cooking" assembled by Olli Leeb. In the future I may try it with nuts added, I think it's very flexible. recipe. The book also mentions splitting it into two smaller Strudel and freezing 1, or doubling the recipe and making and freezing several.
My Private Note
large s ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Strudel Dough.
- 2Sift flour onto a clean, dry work surface. Make a well in the middle. Break the eggs into the well, add the salt, oil & water and mix all with the flour, working outwards from the center. Then knead the dough till it becomes smooth and silky. (At this point I did put it into my Kitchenaid with dough hook as it wasn't getting silky by hand, just very very sticky).
- 3Let it rest for 1/2 hour covered with a warm saucepan.
- 4Roll out on a floured cloth and "pull out" to the desired thickness (very thin). Again, I did multiple roll outs with rolling pin as I tore it with my fingers and I used lots of flour as it is a very sticky dough.
- 5Apple Strudel.
- 6Prepare Strudel Dough & have rolled out very thin on floured cloth.
- 7Soak your raisins in the rum.
- 8Preheat oven to 470*.
- 9Peel, Core, and slice apples very thin with a vegetable slicer, sprinkle with lemon juice to avoid discoloration.
- 10Brush the pulled-out strudel dough with the warm melted butter.
- 11Dab the sour cream out and spread in a smooth layer over butter.
- 12Spread the apple slices over the dough in an even layer (mine was a few layers of apple slices thick in places, I had a lot of apples) stopping about an inch short of the edges.
- 13Sprinkle with rum soaked raisins (discard excess rum).
- 14Sprinkle with sugar and spices to taste; I did a couple fistfuls of sugar.
- 15Fold in the edges of the dough and with the help of the cloth, roll up the strudel loosely.
- 16Slide the strudel into a well-buttered baking dish.
- 17Bring milk and cream to a boil with some cinnamon sprinkled in, pour this over the top of the strudel in baking dish.
- 18Bake @ 470* for 15 minutes, reduce heat to 420* Bake an additional 30-40 minutes.
- 19Cut into portions before serving and sprinkle with sifted confectioners sugar. Serve hot or cold.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Munich Apple Strudel
Serving Size: 1 (264 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 698.4
- Calories from Fat 343
- Total Fat 38.1 g
- Saturated Fat 20.5 g
- Cholesterol 162.3 mg
- Sodium 188.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 77.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 42.8 g
- Protein 9.3 g