Phyllo Apple Strudel
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 5 tablespoons plain breadcrumbs
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 cups peeled apples, finely diced
- 1⁄2 lb unsalted butter, melted (2 sticks)
- 1 (1 lb) package phyllo dough, thawed
- icing sugar
- In a large bowl, combine cinnamon, breadcrumbs, lemon zest, sugar, and diced apple.
- Divide package of phyllo into half (each half makes one strudel).
- Brush each sheet of pastry with melted butter.
- Top with another sheet of pastry and repeat until half of phyllo is used.
- Sprinkle lightly with additional breadcrumbs.
- Divide apple filling in half and spread along length of layered phyllo.
- Roll phyllo loosely over filling to create a roll and place on parchment lined baking sheet.
- Brush generously with butter.
- Repeat with remaining phyllo and apple filling.
- Bake@ 400 for 20 minutes, reduce to 350 and bake for an additional 10 minutes Dust cooled strudels with icing sugar.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I made this last week for the family and they really enjoyed it. However, my crust was not flaky -- it was a little bit mushy. I don't know if it was the type of apples I used -- they were Braeburns -- but we had a hard time cutting up the loaf. I will try it again, though, perhaps with Granny Smith apples, because it is a good recipe.