Prep 35 mins
Cook 30 mins
These meaty meatballs hold a hidden surprise of melted cheese. Just as nice made with ground lamb or pork.
For the meatballs
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 ounces fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 ounces fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 ounces mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoons rapeseed oil
For the sauce
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 roasted red peppers (from a jar)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 orange, juice
- 7⁄8 cup beef stock
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 ounces green olives, pitted and sliced
- spaghetti, to serve
- For the meatballs:.
- Mix the ground beef with the breadcrumbs, garlic, seasoning, parsley and oregano.
- Mix well with damp hands and make 10-12 balls.
- Cut the mozzarella into 10-12 chunks.
- Flatten each meatball and press a piece of mozarella into the centre. Gather the meat around it and pinch to make sure it is sealed.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry for around 10 minutes, turning occasionally.
- For the sauce:.
- Fry the onion in the pan juices until softened.
- Add the tomato paste, orange juice, stock and vinegar.
- Bring to the boil, then using a hand blender, puree the sauce a little.
- Return the meatballs to the pan and simmer for 25 minutes until cooked through.
- Just before serving add the olives. Serve with spaghetti.