Recipe by Kaccy G.
This is a wonderful, full flavored, adaptable recipe. You can add some ground beef, chicken or just leave them meatless.
Top Review by Robin in Kansas
My husband and I LOVE LOVE LOVE this recipe. We found it several years ago in the newspaper. The first time we made it I misread the chilies to be 2-3 CANS instead of 2-3 cannned chilies! YIKES it was hot! We tried again and it was an instant favorite. We always use flour tortillas.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 6 -8 ounces full-flavored mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 2 -3 canned chipotle chiles in adobo, seeded and thinly sliced
- 12 corn tortillas, the fresher the better
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet (preferably nonstick), heat the oil over medium-high.
- Add the sliced onion and cook, stirring frequently, until softening and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and stir nearly constantly until they have softened and any juice they release has evaporated, about 5 minutes longer.
- Stir in the sliced chiles, then taste and season with salt, usually about 1/4 teaspoon.
- Transfer the mixture to a 9- or 10-inch shallow baking dish, like a pie plate.
- Very lightly dampen a clean kitchen towel.
- Check the tortillas to make sure none are stuck together.
- Wrap them in the towel, then in foil, sealing the edges tightly.
- Place in the oven and set the timer for 7 minutes.
- When the timer goes off, stir the shredded cheese into the warm mushroom mixture.
- Set in the oven alongside the tortillas and bake until the cheese is just melted, about 5 minutes longer.
- Sprinkle with the thyme and black pepper and serve without a moment's hesitation, accompanied by warm tortillas.