1/4 Photos of Mouthwatering Herb Roasted Turkey
4 hrs 20 mins
I have made several turkeys in the past, but I wanted this year's bird to be extra special. So I search many recipes and finally decided on 5 of them. I combined what I like the most in all of them to make this wonderful tasting turkey.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Note: Throughly thaw the turkey before starting any of these steps.
- 2Preparation: Mix all the spices in a bowl then add the oil to the mixture. Set aside to use later.
- 3Remove the neck & giblets from the cavities, use as you desire or throw away.
- 4In a clean sink, rinse the turkey both inside & out with cold water. Leave the turkey in the sink for the next steps.
- 5With the breast side down lift the skin near the rear of the turkey. Use a knife & carefully cut away the membranes holding the skin to the turkey.
- 6(You do not want to remove the skin completely. You only want to be able to get your hand under the skin. Make sure the skin is still attached at all sides or you will have difficulty later).
- 7Flip the turkey over and do the same with the other side.
- 8Now that the breast side is up, take a small amount of the spice mixture in your palm. Rub the mixture over the meat, under the skin. You want a thin layer over all the breast.
- 9Flip the turkey back over and do the same with the other side. (Make sure there is a little mixture left over for the legs and wings).
- 10Boil a kettle of scalding hot water.
- 11Take several toothpicks & secure the skin down at the openings of the turkey. (It will be loose since you cut away the membranes).
- 12Pour hot water over the entire turkey. The skin will shrink tightly to the bird as you pour the water. (This will help hold the natural juices in the turkey while it is cooking).
- 13Remove the toothpicks. Salt & pepper the inside of the turkey liberally.
- 14Take the rest of the mixture & spread it over the legs, wings, & the outside of the turkey (in that order).
- 15Cooking: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- 16Place a pop-up turkey timer into the breast of the bird. (If it doesn't already have one).
- 17Pour the can of chicken broth into the bottom of a roasting pan. Then place the turkey breast side down in the pan; cover loosely with foil.
- 18Note: A 12lb turkey, like I used, should take around 4 hours to cook.
- 19Cook the turkey for 3 hours with the foil on. Then uncover the turkey, baste with the broth in the pan, and then flip the turkey over.
- 20Cook for the last hour with the breast side up so it can brown. The turkey is done when the red part of the timer pops up.
- 21Note: The broth and spices in the bottom of the pan can be used to make a great tasting gravy.
Browse Our Top Whole Turkey Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mouthwatering Herb Roasted Turkey
Serving Size: 1 (466 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 711.4
- Calories from Fat 331
- Total Fat 36.8 g
- Saturated Fat 9.9 g
- Cholesterol 290.7 mg
- Sodium 580.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 88.0 g