Mayonnaise & Herb Roasted Turkey
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 10mins
- 12 -14 lbs whole turkey (totally thawed, tee-totally thawed)
- 6 -7 fresh sage leaves, rough chopped
- 5 -6 fresh thyme, stems
- 2 -3 springs rosemary
- 2 -3 springs oregano
- 1 1⁄2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 -2 tablespoon coarse salt
- 1 -2 tablespoon pepper
- 3 stalks celery, rough chopped
- 1 large onion, rough chopped
- 1⁄2 cup butter, salted
- Preheat oven to 450-degrees F.
- Lay turkey in a roasting pan.
- Remove leaves from herbs stems. Add sage, thyme, rosemary, and oregano to mayonnaise; combine well. Rub mayonnaise/herb mixture all over outside and interior of bird.
- Liberally salt, and pepper turkey. Add the celery, and onion, inside and out, and tuck the butter in the cavity.
- Roast turkey in 450-degrees F oven for 30 minutes. Then turn the oven down to 350-degrees F, and insert the meat thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh, being careful not to touch bone. Continue roasting, uncovered, until internal thermometer reaches 165-degrees F. Cover legs with foil partway through roasting if desired. Depending on size of turkey, total cook time will be around 1½-2 hours. Once the thermometer reaches 165-degrees F in the thigh, check the internal temperature of the thickest part of the breast to make sure it reads at least 165-degrees F as well.
- Remove from oven. Cover loosely with foil and let rest for at least 20-30 minutes (depending on size) before carving.
- Remember to reserve turkey drippings and juices for gravy.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!