1 hr 15 mins
1 hr 5 mins
Moroccan fez style couscous made with seven vegetables. Delicious and filling. This can be a meal in itself! This is also delicious with chicken!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup dried garbanzo beans, soaked and peeled (or you can use 2 cups canned)
- 4 cups couscous
- 4 lamb shanks
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3 onions, quartered
- fresh cilantro stem, and
- parsley sprig, tied together
- 6 ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and quartered
- 1 lb carrot, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 lb small turnip, quartered
- 1 quinces, peeled, cored and cubed
- 1/2 lb butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 lb zucchini, quartered
- 1 fresh hot chili pepper
- 1 cup raisins
- ghee (How to Prepare Ghee) or aged clarified butter (Smen-see Smen) or butter
- 1In a saucepan cover chickpeas with water and cook, covered, until tender.
- 2Drain, cool and remove skins.
- 3In bottom of a Couscoussier (or double stock pot w/steamer), preheat 5 tablespoons of butter and oil over medium heat until hot.
- 4Add lamb, salt, spices, onions, herb sprigs and tomatoes; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes.
- 5Add 3 quarts water and chickpeas; cover and simmer over low heat, 1 1/2 hours.
- 6Cut meat into chunks, discarding bones.
- 7Add carrots, turnips and quince to lamb broth and simmer 30 minutes.
- 8In a separate saucepan cover squash with broth from lamb stew and simmer until tender.
- 9To lamb broth add zucchini, chili pepper, and raisins.
- 10Top with colander containing couscous, cover and steam 20 minutes.
- 11Dot couscous with remaining butter during last 5 minutes of steaming.
- 12To serve, spoon couscous onto serving dish and toss with Ghee*, Smen** or butter.
- 13Spread out to form a large well in center.
- 14With a slotted spoon transfer meat and vegetables into well.
- 15Add drained squash.
- 16Strain broth, adjust seasoning to taste and moisten couscous and vegetables with broth.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moroccan Vegetable Couscous With Lamb Shanks
Serving Size: 1 (629 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1323.7
- Calories from Fat 388
- Total Fat 43.1 g
- Saturated Fat 15.2 g
- Cholesterol 181.7 mg
- Sodium 326.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 161.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 20.6 g
- Sugars 33.0 g
- Protein 74.0 g