Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 5 mins
Moroccan fez style couscous made with seven vegetables. Delicious and filling. This can be a meal in itself! This is also delicious with chicken!
- 1 cup dried garbanzo beans, soaked and peeled (or you can use 2 cups canned)
- 4 cups couscous
- 4 lamb shanks
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3 onions, quartered
- fresh cilantro stem, and
- parsley sprig, tied together
- 6 ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and quartered
- 1 lb carrot, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 lb small turnip, quartered
- 1 quinces, peeled, cored and cubed
- 1⁄2 lb butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 lb zucchini, quartered
- 1 fresh hot chili pepper
- 1 cup raisins
- ghee (Recipe #55434) or aged clarified butter (Smen-see Recipe #232878) or butter
- In a saucepan cover chickpeas with water and cook, covered, until tender.
- Drain, cool and remove skins.
- In bottom of a Couscoussier (or double stock pot w/steamer), preheat 5 tablespoons of butter and oil over medium heat until hot.
- Add lamb, salt, spices, onions, herb sprigs and tomatoes; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes.
- Add 3 quarts water and chickpeas; cover and simmer over low heat, 1 1/2 hours.
- Cut meat into chunks, discarding bones.
- Add carrots, turnips and quince to lamb broth and simmer 30 minutes.
- In a separate saucepan cover squash with broth from lamb stew and simmer until tender.
- To lamb broth add zucchini, chili pepper, and raisins.
- Top with colander containing couscous, cover and steam 20 minutes.
- Dot couscous with remaining butter during last 5 minutes of steaming.
- To serve, spoon couscous onto serving dish and toss with Ghee*, Smen** or butter.
- Spread out to form a large well in center.
- With a slotted spoon transfer meat and vegetables into well.
- Add drained squash.
- Strain broth, adjust seasoning to taste and moisten couscous and vegetables with broth.