Recipe by VegSocialWorker
This is an untried recipe from Robin Robertson's Vegan Planet. I probably won't be trying it until fava beans are in season again but it sounds so good that I thought I'd post it in case anyone else wants to try it with dried, frozen or canned fava beans. The recipe notes that if favas are unavailable, you can substitute butter or lima beans. Serve over couscous or rice.
Top Review by agnice9_5952464
When I read the recipe I had to try it. This is unusual for me since I often judge recipes by the reviews. The flavors of the veggies and the fruit is fine. I did increase the amout of cinnamon and cumin each by 1 t., which then would be 2t. of each. Its a great recipe , colorful and deliciously tasty. Thanks social worker for posting, I'm sure you'll like it too.
PS I used dry fava beans which I soaked for 24 hours.
- 118.29 ml mixed dried fruit
- 59.14 ml raisins or 59.14 ml dried currant
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 1 large yellow sweet onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 4.92 ml ground cinnamon
- 411.06 g can diced tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 226.79 g green beans, ends trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 473.18 ml vegetable stock
- 354.88 ml cooked fresh fava beans (or one 15-oz can fava beans, drained and rinsed)
- 118.29 ml frozen green pea, thawed
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 14.79 ml minced fresh cilantro or 14.79 ml fresh parsley leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the dried fruit and raisins in a small heatproof bowl. Add boiling water to cover and soak for 20 minutes to soften. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and carrot, cover, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin, and cinnamon and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
- Add the tomatoes, green beans, and stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add the favas, peas, fruit, salt and pepper to taste. Simmer, uncovered, until the flavors are blended and the desired consistency is achieved, about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.