Top Review by Rita~
I made this recipe in my tagine using 1/4 cup olive oil and skipped the butter. I used 4 chicken breasts in place of the whole chicken. Skipped the salt and used parsley in place of the cilantro. (I enjoy cilantro but DH doesn`t). Used 1 cinnamon stick and all black pepper. Started stove top by heating the oil added the spices then the onion and chicken followed by the parsley. Stirred all, topped with lid then placed in a preheated 325 oven for 45 minutes.
Thanks for the yummy eats!
- 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces and skin removed
- 2 large sweet onions, chopped medium
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon saffron thread, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 1⁄2-2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all ingredients in a Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot.
- Cover, and cook over medium to medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, for about 1 hour, or until the chicken is very tender and pulls easily off the bone.
- Do not add water, and be careful not to burn the chicken.
- Reduce the liquids until they are mostly oils.
- Discard the cinnamon sticks, and taste for seasoning. (The sauce should be a bit salty and peppery.).