Before I moved to San Antonio, I used to buy this fabulous "Lucky Seven Vegetable Couscous", but can't find it here. Desperate for the flavor, I tried without success to find the recipe on the web. After some browsing, I took some of the listed ingredients from various recipes I found & came up with this. My family LOVED it! You could add some cooked cubed chicken to this to make a one-dish meal. You can also add more vegetables such as sweet red peppers or squash, and use vegetable broth instead of chicken for a vegetarian dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 whole carrots, grated or julienned
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries or 2/3 cup currants
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 (14 ounce) can low sodium chicken broth
- 1 3/4 cups uncooked couscous
- 1Cook ALMONDS over MED heat in heavy large skillet until they are pale golden, about 4 minutes, stirring frequently to evenly toast them.
- 2Transfer to bowl& set aside.
- 3Add OLIVE OIL to skillet& increase heat to MED-HIGH.
- 4Add CARROTS& ONION, CUMIN& CORIANDER, saute until veggies just begin to soften, about 3 minutes.
- 5Add WINE& CRANBERRIES/CURRANTS.
- 6Boil until wine is reduced by half, about 3 minutes.
- 7Add BROTH& PEAS (it helps if you COOK the frozen peas first)
- 8Partially cover skillet, simmer until veggies are tender, about 6 minutes.
- 9Season to taste with salt& pepper, if desired.
- 10Stir in COUSCOUS.
- 11Cover and remove from heat.
- 12Let stand (covered) for 7 minutes.
- 13Stir in ALLSPICE& ALMONDS right before serving.
- 14Fluff with fork& serve.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moroccan Lucky Seven Vegetable Inspired Couscous
Serving Size: 1 (230 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 534.8
- Calories from Fat 130
- Total Fat 14.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 96.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 75.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.9 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 16.5 g